I feel that I am consolidating my whole life in my art. I’ve had many careers including research microbiologist, professional art quilter, bridal gown designer/manufacturer, homebuilder, computer consultant specializing in personal computers, and finally back to my favorite, art quilting. In all my work life I have applied what I know from one interest and combined it uniquely with something else I know or see to create a solution that is my own. I started my interest in art with photography, and it still is a strong starting point both for inspiration and for inclusion in my work. I’ve also studied stained glass, pottery and beaded jewelry. Surface design and the surprises that result continue to sustain my interest in experimenting with fiber and what can be achieved by combining various methods in a unique way. Each new piece represents for me a new experiment in combining various techniques of surface design, and I have evolved to the point where most work consists of my own fabrics exclusively.
For each work I like to take a starting point such as a photograph, a piece of fabric, an idea, a theme or an object such as a stone and let it suggest to me what to do with it. As the creation takes shape, I react to what I see and add as the piece suggests itself to me. As a former scientist, I take an experimental approach, changing one element at a time, and then reacting to the surprises. As a result of this process, all of my work is original and one of a kind and starts with white fabric. Characteristics of the work include strong texture, contrast, and graphic appeal and either nature’s colors or vibrant color contrasts with a rhythmic movement that comes from an inner musical sense. This is because of my unconscious and conscious choices. Themes involve nature, still life, and people because this is what interests me. In each work, I like to contrast one thing with another. Realism with abstraction, simple with complex, light with dark, or textured with smooth.
Barbara Barrick resides in Lyme, CT in the solar home she designed and built. In 1998 she designed and built the joint studio that she shares with her sculptor husband, Jim. She has studied and explored many kinds of arts and crafts, and her home reflects her interest in photography, fiber art, stained glass, painting, and pottery. A professional quilt artist in the 1970's, she was also owner and designer of a bridal gown manufacturing company. More recently she served as an automation consultant specializing in personal computers and computer graphics, an interest she carries into her art quilts, which often feature computer fabrics featuring her photographic images. In the past fifteen years Barbara has concentrated on fiber art and jewelry. Her art quilts and wearable art have been juried into many national and international quilt and art quilt shows including Quilt National ’99 and Crafts National ’97 and the cover quilt for “Edge to Edge”, an art quilt juried show at the Museum of American Folk Art in New York. In 2001, two pieces were selected by the Museum of American Folk Art to be among the 15 selected from an international competition, and for Materials Hard and Soft at the Denton Arts Center, Fiber Directions 2001 at the Wichita Art Center, and Fantastic Fibers at the Yeiser Center for Art. Among her prizes is the 2001 “Best of USA” at the World Quilt Show. She was a designer for the Fairfield Fashion Show for 1999 and the Bernina Fashion Show for 2004 and again in 2006. Her beadwork has appeared in Ornament Magazine.
Back to top of page
CURRENT AND COMING SHOWS
CURRENT AND RECENT SHOWS: See Where to See section of the website
- Quilt Visions, Oceanside Museum of Art, Oceanside, CA 2010-11.
- Surface Design Association's 2007 Touring Exhibition - Delightful Dahlia's Day and Night is included. For venues touring through the Fall of 2010, click on this link.
- FAVA Artist as Quiltmaker 2008, Oberlin, OH; Sunrise Serenade, Honorable Mention, 5/18-8/2/2008
- ArtQuilt Elements through 5/18/2008, Wayne Art Center, Wayne, PA; Perching Pelican also featured in the catalogue for the show
- The Ross Art Museum, Delaware, OH
- Aulwood Audubon Center in Dayton, Ohio feature three of my floral quilts in their Floribunda show running from June -August, 2008. Two of the works won prizes.
- American Quilter's Society Juried show - two pieces, Cool Camels of Egypt and Afternoon Seduction.
- Up in Stitches at the Yeiser Art Center, Paducah, KY
- Fiber Celebrated exhibit at the Courthouse Center for the Arts, 3481 Kingstown Road, W. Kingston, RI, April 11-May 8, 2008;
- Fiber Revolution at the Chappaqua Library Gallery, Chappaqua, NY March 8-April 26, 2008, Opening March 8th 2-4 PM.
- Fiber Revolution at the Windsor Art Association , March 15 - April 19, 2008; Opening March 15, 3-5 PM.
- Belskie Museum of Art and Science, Closter, NJ.
- Saugatuck Center for the Arts, Saugatuck, MI
- Museum of the American Quilter’s Society Paducah, KY.
- Fine Focus 2006, a juried show of fine art quilts travels through 2008. Also in Fine Focus 2004 and 2002.
- Fiber at the Garde Garde Arts Center, New London, CT, 2007.
- Quilt Expo Madison, WI 2007.
- Bernina Fashion Show 2006 is traveling with my original garment
Quilt/Art Quilt Shows:
Quilt Visions 2010-11 includes my quilt, Crested Barbet.
The International Quilt Festival awarded my quilt, I'm Watching You first place in the digital category and my quilt, The Hare's Version, an Honorable Mention Prize in the same category.
I won a Judges's Choice prize at the Pennsylvania National Quilt Festival 2010 for my quilt, Feeder Defeater.
The Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival from 2010 featured my quilts Eye to Eye and Yellow Billed Hornbill.
The AQS Lancaster PA show 2010 featured Iguana Headache and Bluebird of Happiness.
The first Quilt Life magazine 2010, featured Eye to Eye in an article on thread painting.
Quite a few of my quilts are in various Fiber Revolution shows currently and coming shortly. For a schedule of our shows, check out http://www.fiberrevolution.com
Two quilts of mine were juried into Lark Books 500 Art Quilts was published in early 2010. The quilts are My New Buddy and One Good Tern Deserves Another.
The International Quilt Festival, 2010, included my winning quilt, Eye to Eye and two of my quilts from Celebrate Spring and In Full Bloom exhibits as well as Creative Force.
The International Quilt Market and Quilt Festival 2009, I had 10 quilts in five exhibits:
Five of my floral reflection series works were at the International Quilt Festival in Houston starting 2009 as well as other International Quilt Association shows through 7/25/2010 in their In Full Bloom exhibits.
SAQA @ 20 exhibit has selected My Buddy and Me to be featured at the International Quilt Festival in 2009 as well as other IQA shows. My quilt was featured in the article about SAQA@20 as well as on the cover in the Dec 09/Jan 10 Quilting Arts Magazine.
In the Judged show, I had two finalists that I am very proud of Eye to Eye and Who Me? Both are heavily free-motion embroidered. I won 2nd in the Digital Imagery category for my Eye to Eye! Who Me? Sold at the show. Eye to Eye will also be at Celebrate Spring 2010 and other IQA shows in 2010.
AQS Demoines Iowa in Demoines, IA 2009 l featured Afternoon Delight.
Pacific International Quilt Festival (PIQF) 2009, in Santa Clara, CA showed two of my quilts in their judged show, My New Buddy and Iguana Headache. Iguana Headache won second in the Innovative category.
World Quilt and Textile 2009 Shh! She's Sleeping won second in the Innovative category and travel to other Mancuso shows.
My photograph of Eye to Eye was selected to be shown in the Eye of the Quilter photography exhibit at the International Quilt Festival, 2009
Celebrate Spring 2009 included my quilt Sunrise Serenade and other IQA shows.
Columbus Cultural Center (Columbus, Ohio) featured my quilt Daddy & Me in a show sponsored by the Quilt/Surface Design Conference and it sold there in 2009.
Go With the Flow #2 was at the Surface Design conference in 2009 in Kansas City, MO.
Quilt Odyssey in Hershey, PA from July 30- August 2, 2009 showed Mommy and Me and Cool Camels of Egypt in their exhibits.
Images 2009 in at the Lowell Quilt Festival in Lowell, MA displayed Red Dahlia Reflections, Dahlia Reflections #2, and Perching Pelican, and Red Dahlia Reflections and Perching Pelican both won honorable mention honors.
Quiltscapes at the Whistler in Lowell, MA 2009 featured Blue Footed Boobie and One Good Tern Deserves another.
American Quilter's Society (AQS) 2009 show in Paducah featured Shh! She's Sleeping and Joy Full.
AQS Knoxville 2009 featured Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut.
Quilt Expo in Wisconsin 2009 had three of my quilts, and Feeder Defeater won 3rd place in the pieced wall category.
Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival 2009showed Joy Full and My Buddy and Me. The latter won Viewer's Choice prize.
For information on publications of my work, see the Resume on this site.
- Perching Pelican and Red Dahlia Reflections were at the 2009 Quilter's Heritage Celebration.
- Connecticut Artist's Annual at the Slater Memorial Museum in Norwich, CT featured Peacock Pride for the 2009
- Mid-Atlantic QuiltFestival in Hampton VA displayed Joy Full, and My Buddy and Me from Feb 26-March 1, 2009. My Buddy and Me won Viewer's Choice award.
- My quilt, Botswana's Beautiful Bird was in a gallery in Gabarone, Botswana in a Fiber Revolution exhibit. Check the site for future dates for this highly acclaimed show.
- The Denver National Quilt Festival juried show feature Feeder Defeater and One Good Tern Deserves Another , and the latter won a Judges Choice ribbon.
- Joy Full and Shh! She's Sleeping were selected for the American Quilters Society show in Paducah, KY, 2009.
- The International Quilt Association’s juried show selected Cool Camels of Egypt to be shown in the world’s largest quilt and art quilt show in Houston, TX in Oct and November, 2007.
- Also shown at the International Quilt Market and Festival in Houston in special Exhibits include
- Celebrate Spring, the judged show at the IQA/Chicago in Rosemont, IL show in 2007 selected both Duel for My Dahlias, which won honorable mention, and Afternoon Seduction for a special exhibit.
- Two works will be shown in the In Full Bloom IV special exhibit, and will travel after the show in Houston around the world. Also In Full Bloom exhibits 2006-2007, 2005-2006 & 2004.
- Two works from the book Innovative Fabric Imagery by C&T Publishing will be shown in their special exhibit at the International Quilt Market/Festival, and will travel to museums and exhibits through 2011.
Awards & Honors:
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival - The Squirrel's Speech won Best Use of Color award.
- One Good Tern Deserves Another won a Judges Choice award at the Denver Quilt Festival, 2009.
- My Buddy and Me won the Viewer's Choice award at the 2009 Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival.
- Celebrate Spring, the judged show at the International Quilt Festival/Rosemont, IL 2007; honorable mention.
- Denver National Quilt Festival II, 2007, Judges Choice award
- $100,000 Quilting Challenge Magazine, Issue #1: Best Pictorial Quilt. 2006.
- Quilt Expo 2006 in Madison, Wisconsin, First Place Appliquéd Wall Quilt, and Second Place Pieced Wall Quilts.
- Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, 2006, Best Machine Workmanship Wall Quilt
- FAVA Artist as Quiltmaker 2006 - Honorable Mention, 2008 Honorable Mention.
- Quilt Odyssey, 2006, Third Place Wall Quilts.
- Epicurean Delights City Lights Gallery, Bridgeport, CT, 2006, 2nd Place Award.
- The Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, 2006 Wall Quilts Best Machine Quilting, 2005 - 2nd place Wall Quilt &Honorable Mention, 2004 2nd Place Wall Quilts, 2002 2nd Place Innovative Wall Quilt.
- Quilt Odyssey, Shippensburg, PA, 2006 3rd Wall Quilt, & Honorable Mention, 2005 - 1st place Appliquéd Innovative Wall Quilt.
- American Quilter's Society Show in Paducah, KY. 2005, 3rd place in the Innovative Wall Quilt category, the same piece was selected for the cover of the AQS Wall Calendar for 2006.
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, Virginia, 2nd in Innovative Wall Quilts and Best Pictorial in Innovative category, 2005, 2003, Honorable Mention, 1999, Best Use of Color 2nd place.
- International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX, 2004, 3rd Naturescapes category. 2003, 1st and 3rd Place in Mixed Technique Category. This is the largest show of art and other quilts in the world.
- Aulwood Audubon Quilt Show 2003, Dayton, OH, Best in Show, also Honorable Mention, 2000.
- Surface Design Association Semi-Annual Member’s Show Kansas City, MO 2003 Honorable Mention.
- Quilter’s Hall of Fame, Marion, IN, “In the Garden” 2003 Honorable Mention.
- Crafts National Penn State University, Zoller Gallery, 2002 Award of Merit.
- Celebrate Diversity Colorado Quilter’s Award, 2002, Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, 2002, Golden, CO.
- Assembly of Artisans 2002, Honorable Mention, Westerly, RI.
- World Quilt & Textile On Tour 2001 Best In USA
- Materials Hard and Soft, Greater Denton Art’s Center 2001, Honorable Mention.
- Northeast Quilt Festival, CT 2001 3rd Place Other Techniques & Juror’s Recognition Award, 2000 1st Wall Quilts Other Techniques, 3rd Wall Quilt Large Other Techniquess, 1996 - Director’s Choice.
- Mid Atlantic Wearable Arts Festival, Williamsburg, VA, 1999 won Second in the Vest/Jacket category.
- All American Quilting Challenge sponsored by Land’s End, 1996, Best in CT.
ONE AND TWO PERSON SHOWS
- Shoreline Quilter’s Guild Quilt Show, 2007 Invited Artists Speaker displaying 20 art quilts.
- Quilt Festival of New Jersey 2006 Retrospective “Garden” quilts invited one-person show.
- Jasper Arts Center Jasper, IN 2003 - Two person show.
- Primedia Gallery, Golden, CO 2003 - Two Person show.
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival 2003 One Woman Show.
- Appalachian Center for Crafts - Tennessee Technological University. Two-person show 2002, Smithville, TN
- Living Traditions Gallery: 21st Century Quiltmakers Avon, CT, 2002, two person show.
- Art Quilt Forum, St. Louis, MO, one woman show, 1999.
SELECTED PAST GALLERY and MUSEUM SHOWS
- Simply Quilts (HGTV) /show #1134 featured Barbara McKie and her work, 2006.
Museums, Galleries & Universities
- LBI Foundation for the Arts, Loveladies, NJ. 2007.
- Form, Not Function, Quilt Art at the Carnegie at the Carnegie Center for Art and History in New Albany, IN selected Red Dahlia Reflections for the show, and it was also featured on the postcard to promote the show - 2007
- Fiber Artists on the Cutting Edge Hoxie Gallery, Westerly, RI, 2007 & 2004, 2001, & 1999.
- Georgean Court University, 2006
- Art Quilts XI: Stages, Cycles & Fits juried show at the Chandler Art Center, Chandler, AZ, 2006
- CHIP Center at the University of Connecticut, 2006, 2005, 2004.
- Fiber Revolution show at the Slater Museum, Norwich, CT, 2006 & 2004 Curator of both exhibits.
- Considering Quilts, a juried art quilt show at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in New Smyrna Beach, FL, 2006.
- SPUN, a juried exhibit of small art quilts at the Katonah Art Center and Anderson Chase Gallery in Katonah, NY, 2006.
- Anderson Arts Center, Kenosha, WI, juried art quilt exhibit 2006.
- Art Quilts at the Sedgwick on the Square at the Philadelphia Art Alliance in Philadelphia, PA, 2006.
- FAVA Firelands Association for the Visual Arts, 2006
- Art Quilts at the Whistler 2006 at the Whistler House Museum in Lowell, MA.
- Lyme Academy College of Fine Art Alumni Show, 2006/7, 2003.
- Quilts=Arts=Quilts, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center in Auburn, NY, 2005.
- Fiber Revolution at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA, 2005/6 & 2003/4.
- Art Quilts X: Xhilarating: Joy in the Making at the Chandler, AZ Art Center, 2005.
- Art Quilts X, XI, 2006/7, 2005/6, Chandler (AZ) Center For Art.
- Fiber Revolution at the Indianapolis Art Center, Indianapolis, IN 2006
- Considering Quilts Atlantic Center for the Arts New Smyrna Beach, FL, 2006.
- On the Wall: Studio Art Quilt Association juried show Colorado Gallery of Contemporary Art, Colorado Springs, CO 2006.
- The On the Wall: SAQA @ Colorado Springs at Gallery of Contemporary Art at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO, 2005.
- The Kentucky Museum of Arts and Crafts in Louisville, KY had an invitational Landscape show where I showed two pieces, 2005.
- Quilt Visions 2004 also in Quilt Visions book Oceanside Museum of Art, Oceanside, CA.
- Primedia Gallery Digital Imagery on Quilts 2004/5, Golden, CO.
- Materials Hard and Soft, Greater Denton (TX) Art Center, 2004, 2001.
- Chen Gallery, New Britain, CT 2003.
- Western Threads Exhibit at the Phippen Art Museum in Prescott, AZ - 2003.
- Craft National Penn State University, Zollery Gallery 2003, 2002, 1997.
- Museum of American Quilter's Society Botanical Art Quilt Show, - 2003, Paducah, KY
- Artists' Museum Tribute to Fiber Artists ,Washington, DC. 2003.
- Uptown Quilts at the David Myers Art Studio & Gallery, Uptown Westerville, OH, June 13-30, 2003.
- SAQA Fiber Revolution - 2003 at the Yale Physician's Building New Haven, CT.
- SAQA Fiber Revolution at the Ellen Traut Collection Gallery Hartford, CT, 2003.
- SAQA Fiber Revolution at the Brodsky Gallery, Chauncey Conference Center, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ. 2003.
- Fine Line Design Gallery, Door County, Sister Bay, WI, 2003.
- Quilted Constructions; The Spirit of Design sponsored by the Museum of American Folk Art, NYC - Venues in Japan, USA and Canada, 2001-2002.
- La Petite: Alder Gallery, Coburg, Oregon, 2001/2002.
- Longview Museum of Fine Arts -Quilts; A Journey Through History, Longview, TX, invitational show- 2001.
- Fantastic Fibers 2001, Yeiser Art Gallery, Paducah, KY, 2001.
- Fiber Directions 2001 Wichita Center for the Arts, Wichita, KS, national juried show of fiber art, 2001.
- Remembering: Fiber Art Salutes the Past, University of St. Thomas Art Space Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, 2001.
- Decorative Mathematics: The Geometry of Quilting, Clayton Street Gallery, Athens, GA, 2001
- Art Quilt Exhibition 2001, River Oaks Square Arts Center, Alexandria, LA, 2001.
- Thirteen Moons Gallery, Santa Fe, NM featured artist at gallery, 2001.
- Featured Artist at Bradiggins Gallery, 2001/ 2002, Hillsboro, NC.
- Quilts in Bloom, 1999; invitational show in Mainau Castle in Mainau, Germany, also a book published for the show.
- Quilt National 1999 also in Book for Quilt National ’99. Dairy Barn Art Center, Athens, OH and traveled for 2 years.
- Museum of American Folk Art, Edge to Edge, 1998, juried selection from members of the Studio Art Quilt Association, "An Orange for Lunch" selected for the exhibit and as the cover quilt for the catalogue of the show.
SELECTED NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL JURIED QUILT SHOWS
- Husqvarna Viking Masterpieces 2005-2007, also 2002-2004.
- Quilt Odyssey 2007 Hershey, PA featured 2 juried quilts.
- Road to California, 2007, also 2006, Montclair, CA.
- Indiana Heritage Quilt Show 2007 selected 3 pieces for display in their juried show, also 2006.
- Denver National Quilt Festival II, 2007 two works, also 2006.
- Celebrate Spring 2007 two works.
- International Quilt Market and International Quilt Festival 2006
o 2006 Juried show selected two pieces and both sold at the show
o In special exhibits the display of the $100,000 Quilting Challenge, Preening Pelican was shown
o In Full Bloom III three floral pieces were shown
o Rainbow Rhapsody my original wearable art garment premiered in the Bernina Fashion Show 2006.
- Also IQF Juried show 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997, 1996.
- 1997 Fairfield Fashion Show wearable art garment traveled around the world.
- Best of Studio Art Quilt Association 2005.
- Pacific International Quilt Festival - 2006, 2005 in Santa Clara, CA
- Quilt Expo in Madison, Wisconsin 2007, 2006 & 2007.
- Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 202, 2001, 2000, 1999.
- Quilt Odyssey, in Hershey Convention Center, Hershey, PA, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2000.
- World Quilt and Textile Show in Manchester, NH, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001.
- The Quilter's Heritage Celebration, Lancaster, PA, 2009, 2006, 2005
- The American Quilter's Society Show, Paducah, KY, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997.
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Williamsburgh & Hampton, VA, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999.
- Garden Retrospective, a special exhibit of my 36 of my fruit and floral pieces was at the Quilt Fest of New Jersey in Somerset, NJ, 2006.
- Indiana Heritage Quilt Celebration, Bloomington, IN, 2005.
- International Quilt Market and Festival in Houston, TX, 2005; 2 quilts in the juried show, 3 in In Full Bloom II juried special exhibit, 1 in Husqvarna Viking Masterpieces special juried exhibit (which travels around the world), 1 in The Best of SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Association) exhibit.
- Spring International Quilt Festival, Rosemont, IL, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005 (garment and quilt).
- International Quilt Festival Spring & Europe 2004, 2003.
- Fine Focus 2004, 2004 & 2006. Traveling exhibit to various venues.
- 2004 Bernina Fashion Show 2004 & 2006 traveling exhibit in various venues around the world.
PUBLICATIONS (41 books and 51 magazines are included in my 92 publications)
- Art Quilt Portfolio: The Natural World features 8 of my quilts of animals including the cover page quilt, Peacock Pride, and Mandarin Duck shown on the back cover. It can be purchased at the SAQA Website.
- In the In Stitches Volume #3 Emagazine by Interweave Press, features me demonstrating how I create my art quilts using thread painting and trapunto with a demonstration and an article showing the creation of the Upside Downy quilt.
- Quilt Scene magazine from 2010 International Quilt Association show featured my prize winning quilt, I'm Watching You.
- SAQA's Creative Force 2010 book features Observe and Discover and is available through SAQA Website click here to visit site.
- SAQA@20 Book features My Buddy and Me and is available through SAQA website click here to visit site.
- SAQA Portfolios 14, 15, 16 & 17 available through SAQA website.
- Quilt Visions 2010 book features Crested Barbet.
- 500 Art Quilts by Lark Books has two of my quilts, My New Buddy and One Good Tern Deserves Another.
- Quilt Life first issue features my quilt Eye to Eye on the index and in the article on thread painting.
- Dec 2009/Jan 2010 Quilting Arts Magazine features My Buddy and Me on the cover, the index page, and in the SAQA@20 article.
- Quilter’s Newsletter Magazine, Jan/Feb 2008 p. 14 featured Preening Pelican.
- Innovative Fabric Imagery, C& T Publishing, Sept., 2007 will include Surface Departure #2 and Dahlia Reflections #2.
- $100,000 Quilting Challenge - Best Quilts of 2006, 2007, p.3 & 74-75. Reality Publishing, Preening Pelican.
- Love of Quilting Magazine July, 2007 p. 34 Art of Quilting Fantastic Flowers - Purple Petunias.
- Love of Quilting Magazine May/June 2007 shows Perching Pelican on p. 55 in the article, Art of Quilting Quilts Take Wing.
- The Studio Art Quilt Association's publication Portfolio 14 features Sunrise Serenade. The book was released in October, 2007.
- SAQA Portfolio 13, 2006, Red Dahlia Reflections.
- SAQA Portfolio 12, 2005 shows, Perching Pelican and Under the Sunflowers, p.107.
- Journal of the International Quilt Association Summer, 2007, p. 6, Duel for My Dahlias,
- Spring, 2004, Fanfare for an Orange
- Spring and Fall, 2004, Autumn in New England.
- The Lyme Times 3/8/2007 - A Niche and a Stitch p. 1, 12 & 13. Article about Barbara and James McKie and our art.
- SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Association)Journal, volume 17, No. 2. Spring, 2007 Article by Barbara Barrick McKie, p. 10-11. Entering Juried Shows.
- Bernina's magazine, Through the Needle , issue 20 features my garment, Rainbow Rhapsody, on page 32 along with the other 2006 Bernina Fashion Show garments.
- Quilting Arts Magazine, Summer 2002, 6th ed., 10 page article Surface Imagery with Barbara McKie by Pokey Bolton & Mary McRae. Floral Symphony #10, Daffodil Fantasia is also featured on the cover of the magazine.
- Quilting Arts Magazine, Fall 2006, Issue #23, p. 62 Menage a Trois from the show Art Quilts at the Sedgwick on the Square is featured.
- QAM, Spring, 2004 Issue in the article, Dreaming the Garden by Laura Cater-Woods shows Pink Rhododendron.
- $100,000 Quilting Challenge Magazine, issue #1, March 31, 2006, shows my Pictorial Category winner, Preening Pelican as the first quilt article.
- American Quilter Society's Wall Calendar for 2006 has my quilt, Under the Sunflowers featured on the cover.
- On the Wall exhibit catalogue at the Gallery of Contemporary Art at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO from Jan 13-March 17, 2006 shows my quilt in the exhibit, Autumn Reflections on p. 18.
- American Quilter Magazine, Spring, 2005 has an article I wrote about experimenting with Silk Painting, and my quilt, Dancing Iris is on the cover of the magazine. Many of my quilts are in the article.
- AQM, Summer, 1997 article Barbara Barrick McKie, Organized On-Line, p. 23-26.
- American Quilter’s Society 2005 Engagement Calendar features An Apple A Day.
- Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, Primedia Publishing, Jan/Feb, 2005 shows my work, Autumn in New England and talks about my process starting on page 30-31 in an article Digital Images on Fabric.
- QNM, Dec 2004, has Dahlias a la Mode, in article Enhancing Images on Quilts by Janneken L. Smucker, p. 58.
- QNM, July/Aug 2004 issue featured My Last Birthday, p. 58.
- QNM ,Jan/Feb, 2003 Issue shows Tiny Violinist in the Reader’s Quilt Show, p. 31.
- QNM, November, 2001 Issue in Reader’s Quilt Show has Light & Shadow Study #2.
- QNM, July/Aug, 1999 - An Orange for Lunch, p 39, in article by Ann Fahl called The Challenge of Orange.
- QNM, January, 1999 issue - Lilies of the Field.
- Quilt Visions 2004 book features Water Ballet #5, p. 56-57.
- Catalogue of the Husqvarna/Viking Masterpieces exhibit 2004, Art Takes Shape shows my quilt, Perching Pelican on page 78-79.
- 400 Polymer Clay Designs by Suzanne Tourtillott - book by Lark Books, 2004. Precarious Balance p. 46.
- Winning Quilts The Best of 2002 and 2003 Shows from the International Quilt Association by Rita Weiss features my winning quilt, Autumn in New England.
- Bernina of America's book Fashion & Imagination "Celebration" from 2004 shows my garment, Celebrating Valentine's Day on pages 58 and 59.
- American Style magazine, December 2004 has an article on art quilts called The Cutting Edge, which shows my quilt Water Ballet #5 on page 74.
- Contemporary Quilts published by Krause Publications authored by Cindy Walter and Stevii Graves released in May, 2005, features Dahlias a la Mode.
- American Quilter’s Society Engagement Calendar, 2003, A Loaf of Bread, a Jug of Wine and You.
- A Basic Guide to Dyeing and Painting Fabric, Krause Publishing, 2002, book by Cindy Walter and Jennifer Priestley, p. 75, Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
- Catalogue of the Husqvarna/Viking Masterpieces exhibit 2002, A Voyage of Self Discovery shows my quilt Let It Bee on page 46.
- Studio Art Quilt Association Spring 2002 newsletter, Professional Artist profile, p. 8.
- Mancuso Shows web site Floral Symphony #7 Cape Primrose is featured on their banner. http://www.quiltfest.com
- Norwich Bulletin, Saturday, Dec 8, 2001, Profile of Barbara McKie
- Main Street News, Sept 20-26, 2001 p. 15. Article with photos featuring Barbara McKie
- Folk Art Magazine Fall Issue, 2001, p 22-39, Quilted Construction: The Spirit of Design by Suzannah Schatt shows and discusses Fanfare for an Orange and Autumn in New England.
- Main Street News, Sept 20, 2001, p. 15 recent honors are mentioned in an article with picture.
- Main Street News, April 26, 2001, p. 29.
- Fantastic Fibers 2001 show catalogue, Light and Shadow Study #2 Yeiser Art Center, Paducah, KY.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Jan. 19, 2000 - Notice of show at American Visions Gallery with detail of Floral Symphony #1: Lilies of the Field.
- Pictorial Gazette, Sept. 28, 1999 Feature article p. 1 & 3.
- Ornament Magazine, Spring, 1999 issue featured jewelry piece.
- Quilts in Bloom, 1999; Catalogue of the Mainau Castle (Germany) show of the same name. Floral Symphony #1: Lilies of the Field.
- Quilt National '99 -- The Best in Contemporary Quilts; May 1999 by Lark Books quilts from Quilt National 1999, Floral Symphony # 2, Foxgloves.
- Providence Sunday Journal, Arts Week p. 1, May 2, 1999.
- New London Day, Arts section, p 1, H1 and H4.April 18, 1999. Also The Day Highlights April 24, 1999, p. 1.
- National Quilting Association Magazine, December, 1998. A two-page feature article on the artist and her wearable art.
- Quilting Your Memories: Inspirations for Designing with Image Transfers by Sandy Bonsib published by That Patchwork Place in 1999 p. 69 & 101 two works are shown.
- New London Day, April 18, 1999 H1 & H4. Also featured in the, New London Day Highlights, April 24, 1999.
- American Craft Magazine, April, 1998 featured Edge to Edge exhibit from the Museum of American Folk Art and An Orange for Lunch.
- Museum of American Folk Art Magazine, Spring, 1998 featured Edge to Edge Exhibit and An Orange for Lunch and article including a discussion of Barbara McKie’s quilts.
- Edge to Edge exhibit catalogue, Museum of American Folk Art, 1998-1999. Quilt was featured on the cover of the catalogue for the exhibit.
- Quilts and Illusions, American Quilters Society, 1997, book by Karen Combs, p. 80. Entropy is Increasing in My Universe is included.
- Sylvia Landman’s, Make Your Quilting Pay for Itself, 1997, F & W Betterway Publications, featured artist.
- Pictorial Gazette, Sept 24, 1996, p. 1. Article about Barbara McKie winning in All American Quilt Contest.
- Time-Life The Family Creative Workshop series, Plenary Publications International, 1976. Featured artist in Quilting section, Volume 14, pages 1690-1701, and in Trapunto section, Volume 21, pages 2590-2591.
- McCall's Contemporary Quilting, by Editors of McCall's Needlework & Crafts, , 1975, pp. 22, 23, 24, 25, 56 & 57.
- New York Times by Rita Reif, , Article on the Mystic Quilt Festival, May 25, 1974, p. 22, picture of Barbara McKie with art quilt.
- Complete Guide to Quilting book by Audrey Heard & Beverly Pryor, Creative Home Library in Association with Better Homes and Gardens, Meredith Publishing, 1974, pages 102, 156, 190, 191, 194, 202, 227 feature work by Barbara McKie.
EDUCATION AND ART TRAINING
- Worcester Center For Crafts, 1997-98.
- Peter's Valley Crafts Center, workshops on disperse dyeing and shibori, 1999 and 2000.
- Guilford Handcraft Center, 1998.
- North Country Studio conference 1997 & 1999
- Lyme Academy of Fine Arts, 1996-98.
- Quilt Surface Design Symposium, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999.
- Quilting by the Lake, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998.
- Northeast Quilt Festival, 1996, 1997.
- Quilters Heritage Celebration, 1996, 1997.
- Pro-Chem Dye surface design courses 1995, silk painting 1999, 2000, 2004, 2007, & 2008
- Pennsylvania Quilt Extravaganza, 1995.
- New York Quilt Festival, 1995.
- Hartford Graduate Center, Rensselaer University -- MS Marketing Management 1992.
- Thames Valley State Technical College -- 1976-1980 -- Computer Science.
- Purdue University - BS 1962 biology education major, English minor, courses in design and clothing, graduated with Highest Distinction.
- University of Wisconsin & Purdue University - post-graduate work in Microbiology, 1992-3 and 1994-5. National Science Foundation Fellowship.